Adam is an accomplished trial attorney whose primary areas of practice include representing institutions and individuals in the securities industry in connection with litigation or regulatory proceedings. Adam represents clients before FINRA, NFA, NY State Department of Financial Services as well as in various courts and in connection with white collar criminal investigations. Adam also acts as a FINRA arbitrator and mediator.
Prior to co-founding KLM LLP, Adam was an Executive Director at Morgan Stanley and a Director at Citigroup in their legal and compliance divisions. While at Citigroup and Morgan Stanley, Adam represented the firms and their employees in hundreds of FINRA arbitrations and numerous matters pending before various regulatory bodies.
During his years in the securities industry, Adam directed firm-wide large-scale investigations involving a variety of issues including: sales practice, wire fraud and marketing alternative investments. Adam provided advice on a range of matters including operational functions, licensing issues, selling of alternative and structured products, and surveillance of the outside activities of registered representatives. In addition to claims involving fraud, misrepresentation and general sales practice violations, Adam handled complex claims relating to options, hedging strategies, structured products and a variety of alternative investments.
Adam began his legal career as a prosecutor in the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office in 1999. After working in the trial division, he joined the Rackets Bureau where he investigated and prosecuted a variety of white-collar crime. As a prosecutor, he tried over 40 cases to verdict.
Adam is a member of the New York City Bar and of the American Bar Association and has served on a number of committees within both organizations. Adam has lectured on securities arbitration at the New York State Bar Association, and on cross examination, and trial advocacy at the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office.
Some of Adam’s representative cases include:
- Representation of a major broker dealer defending against allegations of theft by an employee at a FINRA arbitration.
- Representation of a large financial institution accused of breach of contract.
- Representation of a mortgage backed securities trader being investigated by FINRA for alleged excessive markups.
- Representation of a fixed income trader being investigated by FINRA for alleged misrepresentations made in the context of the sale of securities.
- Representation of an equity options trader being investigated by FINRA for alleged spoofing and wash trades.
- Representation of an executive involved in an employment dispute with a Fortune 100 company.
- Representation of a property management company in defense of a shareholder derivative suit.
- Representation of an insurance company being investigated by the New York State Department of Financial Services.
- Representation of a construction company in an investigation by the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office relating to usage of Minority Business Enterprises.